Friday, December 22, 2017


Our second semifinal of the evening featured No. 3 Covington Catholic taking on No. 4 Fern Creek in each of the teams' second King of the Bluegrass semifinal appearances. The Tigers got off to a fast start for the night scoring seven of the first nine points for an early 7-2 lead. An 8-2 run by Covington Catholic pushed the Colonels ahead for the first time at 10-9. The Tigers took the lead back on their next possession and held it until the final seconds of the first quarter when a Tyler Fleek layup gave Covington Catholic an 18-17 lead. The teams exchanged baskets for the first three minutes of the second quarter before an Anthony Wales three-pointer put the Tigers back ahead 26-23. The Fern Creek lead grew to as many as six points late in the second quarter but a late Colonels run trimmed the lead to 32-30 at halftime. A pair of quick baskets gave Covington Catholic back the lead in the second quarter but the Tigers defense would hold them scoreless for more than three minutes midway through the quarter during a 7-0 run to lead 42-37. A Nick Thelen putback gave Covington Catholic the lead back with 2:14 remaining in the third quarter and jump started a 7-0 run to put the Colonels ahead 50-44 entering the fourth quarter. Fern Creek opened the fourth quarter with their own 7-0 run capped by an Alvin Thomas layup to take the lead again at 51-50. Less than three minutes later the Tigers lead grew to as many as eight points at 60-52. Covington Catholic could never get closer than five points the rest of the way and the Tigers connected on four straight free throws in the final minute to give them the 70-62 victory. Fern Creek will play in the King of the Bluegrass Championship for the first time in 19 years. Clint Wickliffe led the way for the Tigers with a game-high 21 points and 7 rebounds. Ahmad Price and Anthony Wales added 19 points and 17 points respectively. Covington Catholic was led by Aiden Ruthsatz with 20 points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment